The detail below is part of a map prepared in
1944 by the British Palestine Survey. It was updated in 1946, and was apparently used by the armistice negotiators in
1949 to provide the basis of the Israeli-Jordanian border as it was until 1967.
This section shows central Palestine/Israel
and the northern Negev. The map shows many Palestinian towns that have disappeared or become Jewish towns. Jewish
towns and settlements lost in 1948, and towns that became famous because of battles fought there or massacres that
occurred at different times:
Deir Yassin near Jerusalem, site of a
massacre by Jewish Irgun/Lehi forces (April 9, 1948), now part of Qiriath Shaul.
Qastel and Qoloniya on the road to Jerusalem. These two Palestinian towns were used as based for firing on Jewish
convoys to Jerusalem and blockading the road. Qastel was conquered by the Haganah on April 8, 1948 in Operation Nachshon
and the noted Palestinian commander, Abdel Khader El-Husseini Suleiman fell there, after he approached an Israeli
position by mistake and hailed the sentries in English.
Bab-El-Wad and Latrun on the road to Jerusalem, east of Yibna in the area of the armistice line, and south of Imwas
(Emmaus). Bab El Wad means "gateway of the valley" and is today "Sha'ar Hagay." It was not a town, but a geographic
point on the road which was vulnerable to attacks by Arab marauders. Latroun is obscured by the armistice border drawn
over it. It is a Tegart fort and monastery. The position was controlled by the Jordan Legion in 1948, and enforced the
blockade of Jewish Jerusalem by the Arab forces.
Gush Etzion, north of Hebron, site of a massacre of surrendered Jewish defenders by Palestinians on May 14, 1948,
Iraq El-Suweidan that figured in battles with the Egyptian army etc.
Yibna - Now Yavneh near the coast (the Arab town was built on the ancient Jewish town of Yavneh).
Majdal - A large Arab town just north of Gaza that was under the control of the Egyptian army. When the Egyptians
left, most of the Palestinians fled. Others were expelled forcibly as late as 1950. It is now Ashqelon (near the
ancient city of Ashqelon).
Shaikh Muwanis - North of Tel-Aviv, now Ramat Aviv.
Isdood - A large Arab town just north of Gaza that was under the control of the Egyptian army. When the Egyptians
left, most of the Palestinians fled. Others were expelled forcibly as late as 1950. It is now Ashdod.
Neve Ya'aqov - Jewish settlement on the road between Ramallah and Jerusalem, abandoned in 1948.
Atarot - Jewish settlement near Qalandia, on the road between Ramallah and Jerusalem, abandoned in 1948.
Palestine Potash works on the north dead sea - abandoned by the Israelis in 1948.
Iraq Suweidan in the south central area, east of Majdal - a fortified position defended heavily by the
Egyptian army, along with Faluja, where the remains of an Egyptian force were encircled. Faluja is now Plugoth.